About Us and Why We’re Employing
We build “You Need a Funds,” the very best budgeting software program and education assets all around. (All those in the know simply call us YNAB, which is pronounced “why-nab.”) For far more than a 10 years, individuals have been buying YNAB and then telling their buddies what a change it has designed in their life. Google us, or go through some of our opinions on the application retail outlet, and you will see what we indicate. We enjoy setting up some thing that has a big positive influence on people’s life.
YNAB is rising, and so is our product or service crew. We’re a computer software ecosystem that includes apps for website, Android, and iOS. We have some massive programs for our Android app, and which is in which you occur in!
We have 1 overarching prerequisite when it will come to becoming a member of our staff: our Core Values Manifesto has to definitely click with you. If you’re nodding emphatically although reading this, you’ll most likely like it here, and we can’t wait around to join with you!
Of class, we have some company* needs much too, like 5 yrs of experienced software package development expertise, and a minimum of four decades spent creating Android applications.
*Properly, firm-ish. If you know you are a excellent suit for this function but drop a minor quick of the five-12 months requirement, we really encourage you to go forward and implement. We really do not will need you to be the great applicant on paper.
On a comparable observe, we know imposter syndrome can be a impressive pressure, and may perhaps discourage amazing people from applying. Make sure you apply in any case. Quite a few of us in this article have it as well, so you’re in very good company.
Alright, let’s talk about life at YNAB, and then we’ll go into detail about what we’re seeking for.
Who You’d Be Doing the job With
Our engineering workforce is about 50 men and women strong, 7 of whom are Android developers. We regularly work in cross-useful groups, so you are going to get to operate with amazing people today from all distinctive roles in the enterprise.
Regardless of their diversified passions, all of our developers have just one factor in typical: they are a joy to do the job with. You will not discover heated arguments and elevated voices below. We preserve our competitive spirit for YNAB’s external competitors (or the occasional energetic board recreation session), but internally we make up our teammates and celebrate their successes. We all adore to software and clear up complications in creative ways, and we consistently get time to geek out and display every single other one thing awesome we developed or uncovered to make our life less difficult.
And of program, as a developer, you’ll get the job done closely with our wonderful designers. They have the awards (like at least 1 genuine Emmy®) to prove they are superior at coming up with stuff. Much more importantly, they welcome opinions and solutions during the advancement approach and are happy to tweak an conversation if you tell them it will preserve you substantial improvement exertion.
How You’ll Function at YNAB
We also operate really really hard, collectively, to make working at YNAB an amazing knowledge, and we were being (humbly) happy to be named Fortune’s #1 Finest Compact Corporation to Do the job For the past two yrs. We have a workforce of genuinely remarkable people—the sort you are going to be excited to get the job done with. Here’s how we function:
Accountability and Empowerment
YNAB appreciates, respects, and trusts the experience and judgment of our builders. We empower them to do what they imagine is correct.
We also function collaboratively. We continually seek out the ideal volume of composition and unity needed to optimize productiveness. Exactly where it makes feeling, we designate a person to make a call.
Even although our developers are proper a lot, it’s ok to make errors listed here. Exploration and calculated dangers are crucial to velocity and advancement. We freely confess when we’re improper. If some thing doesn’t go as anticipated, we find out, bounce again, and make corrections.
You will not be by itself other individuals will be there to assistance, overview, reassure, and back you up. We personal our procedures and collective results as a team.
Stay (Practically) Everywhere You Want
We’ve usually been a fully distant crew, and have persons all about the planet. For this role, you’ll require to be located somewhere in between the Pacific Time Zone (UTC-8) and the Central European Time Zone (UTC+1). Anywhere you are, just make sure you have a trusted internet link.
A 4-Day Get the job done Week with No Outrageous Hrs
We’re presently trialing a 4-day get the job done 7 days! For us, this signifies four standard times of work adopted by a a few-working day weekend…every 7 days. This is new to us, and we’re only in the center of a 6-thirty day period demo, but we’re fired up about what it could necessarily mean the two for the organization and our crew users.
We want every person to have a full lifetime exterior of YNAB. We rarely perform much more than a standard workweek. There have been a handful of occasions exactly where factors bought hectic and persons experienced to place some further time in. But then they took some additional time off, so it all balances out. We perform really hard and sensible but we’re in this for the prolonged haul.
Whilst we do our most effective to allow asynchronous perform anywhere we can, in some cases we only need to have to converse in true time, for illustration, for enterprise or crew meetings. This implies you may have to have to be versatile with your functioning hours, maybe a working day or two a 7 days, specifically if you live in our time zones’ western or jap extremes.
Acquire Getaway (Significantly)
We want you to just take vacation. In reality, we have a minimal holiday plan of three months per calendar year. Five months feels about ideal (additionally two extra weeks for Holiday crack). It’s crucial to get lots of downtime and get out and do one thing. We’ll look forward to viewing photos of your adventures in our #business_wall Slack channel.
The YNAB Retreat
When the pandemic isn’t preserving us from touring, we get the entire workforce together the moment a calendar year. So far, we have performed Costa Rica, a gigantic cabin in the mountains, a seashore house in the Outer Banking companies, a ranch in Montana, and most a short while ago, Laguna Seaside. We do seriously exciting things at these retreats, but the spotlight is inevitably just currently being alongside one another and possessing a blast.
Up Your Match
We’re really serious about assisting you make improvements to your craft. We budget for it (hey-o!). Imagine conferences, Lynda/Skillshare subscriptions, textbooks, and focused time absent from work to master a little something new. We really like to see our individuals grow.
Worldwide is Certainly All right
Our group is distribute throughout the globe, together with Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, the United Kingdom, and all in excess of the United States. We established up crew associates in the US and United kingdom as workers, and those in other international locations as impartial contractors.
As described above, we have some time zone restrictions for this function, but as extensive as you’re concerning UTC-8 and UTC+1, we’re excellent!
For total-time W2 staff members in the US, we present great wellness, dental, and vision insurance, where we address 100% of the high quality for you and your household. No will need to check out your eyesight, you read through that right—100%. Despite the fact that if you did require to examine your vision, NBD, we’ve bought you included!
For entire- and aspect-time W2 employees in the US, we also have a Classic and Roth 401(k) possibility. YNAB matches your contributions up to six %, and matches vest immediately. (Are you a individual finance junkie like our founder Jesse? He set up YNAB’s 401k to have the least expensive charge structure doable, wherever all strategy fees are paid by YNAB, not your retirement nest egg. The financial investment funds available are wonderful, passively-managed, ultra low-price index funds. You’re not a PF junkie? Trust us, it is magnificent.) For Uk staff, we also contribute six per cent to your pension.
We also provide generous paid parental go away for all comprehensive-time crew members.
The starting up wage vary for this posture is $131,000-$162,000 annually. We consider raises every 12 months, and have a bi-annual financial gain-share bonus. YNAB wins, you win—that sort of issue.
- After you get started, we Demand (in a friendly, ALL CAPS IS YELLING way) that you fill out your “Bucket List” spreadsheet with 50 objects. (Which is harder than it appears!)
- The bucket checklist actually can help in determining what we should really give you for your birthday and the holiday seasons.
- We’re all adults. There’s no require to punch a clock, or check with for permission to just take off early just one afternoon to go see the health care provider. We appear at what you achieve, not how prolonged you are in front of a computer system.
- We want you firing on all cylinders, so we’ll set you up with a shiny new laptop or computer and change it just about every three years, and as a mobile developer, a new phone just about every two several years.
- Did we point out that YNAB will make a large, positive distinction in people’s lives? You could not believe that matters a lot, but then a several months down the highway you’ll understand it is designed your position actually, really fulfilling. Really do not underestimate this just one!
- And really do not overlook about that 4-Working day Function Week!
If this sounds like your excellent natural environment, read on mainly because now we want to speak about you. You will perform a large aspect in making a little something uncomplicated and joyful to use that assists tens of millions of people uncover budgeting as an important money and existence-setting up tool. You will improve life.
You, Our New Senior Android Developer
You are a software program developer with above 5 several years of skilled, total-time knowledge. You expended at least four of all those yrs operating with Android. You know how to create quick-to-maintain software package whilst still trying to keep an eye on the roadmap.
You are going to aid us write and retain functions in our Android application.
All of our Android code is in Kotlin. We feel in the power of native consumer interfaces and we’re going all in on Compose.
We have a sturdy desire for shared enterprise logic across our platforms. We have a latest code sharing option primarily based on TypeScript and the V8 motor, but we are actively investigating migrating to Kotlin Multiplatform.
Our minSdk is 26, we are going in the direction of a unidirectional info stream architecture, and we use Compose, Coroutines, Stream, Dagger, Robolectric, Bitrise CI, and GitHub.
You are our suitable applicant if:
- You are an exceptional, senior developer that can adapt to new languages immediately.
- You create code that is simple for other programmers and your long run self to fully grasp and use.
- You have comprehensive knowledge with Kotlin and Java.
- You have performed an vital role in developing, delivery, and supporting at the very least a person important Android application.
- You have outstanding debugging competencies. You know how to locate complications and how to build applications so that challenges are discoverable in the to start with spot.
- You are self-enthusiastic and prosper with directions like:
- “This portion of the plan is too slow. Can you locate out why?”
- “This part wants to be re-architected to allow for for new feature X. How do you imagine we ought to do it?”
- You have an comprehension of algorithms and information structures further than arrays and “for loops.” That does not necessarily mean you have to be a pc science PhD or even that you have to know “Big O” notation, but you should know when to use a Dictionary/Map, and why acquiring an component in a sorted array is speedier than finding an component in an unsorted array.
- You experience appropriate at property with Git/GitHub.
- You aren’t (necessarily) a protection expert, but you know enough to be protective of shopper knowledge and privateness.
- You by now use and appreciate YNAB. (Not a necessity, but we’ll give you reward details for this one.)
YNAB is an equal prospect employer. We consider a range of backgrounds, beliefs, capabilities, and ordeals is essential to our success. We are passionate about developing a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative surroundings for all staff. All are inspired to utilize as we continue to improve a smart, expert, and numerous staff that loves working jointly to build a little something that matters.
How to Apply
- Apply by filling out this kind. You’ll want to log in to your Google account to obtain it.
- The deadline is 11:59 pm PT on Sunday, September 25, 2022.
- Our aim is to make the choosing process as available as achievable. If we can enable you with an accessibility require, e-mail us at [email protected] Be sure to show in the subject line that you’re making use of for the Senior Android Developer situation. (Be sure to observe that this inbox is only monitored for messages connected to accommodations.)
P.S. We’ll mail you a confirmation email once you use. Remember to insert that e-mail to your secure sender list to ensure that long run emails occur through.
P.P.S. If you’re not interested in this position appropriate now, but know somebody who may be, we’d respect you passing this together!